Monday, August 9, 2010

Midwest Getaway

AAAAHHHH....relaxation. We had a wonderful, wonderful visit with Ian's parents. Well, we didn't see them for very long, but the kids did! We flew in on Sunday morning ( Ev is still crazy airplane man, no sleep, and no sitting still) and by 6pm Ian and I were on the Megabus waving goodbye to Grandma, Opa, Ev, and H. Ian had a work conference in Chicago and I tagged along while our children got some quality time with their grandparents.

The kids were awesome while we were gone! The slept well, played well, ate well, and got along well. Which made our getaway even better. Ev went to a Dr. appt. with Opa and Great Grandpa while Grandma and Holden walked to the amazing downtown library and read and played all morning.



They went out for pizza, went to a county fair, played in sprinklers, and had a fab time without mom and dad.

When we got into town we headed straight to Geno's East for ridiculously delicious pizza.


Now, being form the East Coast, my kind of pizza is super thin, like it flops over when you pick up a piece, and super greasy. This was a whole different animal. You can barely call them both pizza because they are so different. However, I am now a BIG fan of Chicago style pizza. Fresh mozzarella, a pastry like scrumptious crust, and don't even get me started on the sauce.


There was a Cub's game on the TV in the bar, we enjoyed some local beer and were in complete heaven! Ian was pretty busy with work most of the time, but I was content exporing a new city on my own.

Just the highlights (other than the pizza):
1. Double decker bus tour where I got to learn about Chicago's architecture and see Little Italy, Chinatown, Greekt
own, Harpo Studios, the original Playboy mansion, and Wrigley Field among other local favorites.

2. Our hotel was one block off of Michigan Ave. in the middle of the Magnificent Mile.



And it is magnificent! H&M is FOUR stories!



The best shopping I have EVER seen. I spent tons of time exploring the stores.
3. We were eight blocks from the Oak Street beach on Lake Michigan and I pretended I was at the Jersey shore and laid out all afternoon with a good book (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).



4. An entire day at the Art museum, which was heaven.



I forgot how much I miss art museums. The quiet, the peace, the beauty. When I lived back in PA I would travel down to the Philadelphia Art Museum often.


5. A fabulous and romantic dinner with my husband at a great italian restaurant.
6. SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP

We got back to Indie on Wed night and spent Thur. visiting Great Grandpa, going to the library, walking the beautiful canal that goes through downtown,



and going out for a family Mexican dinner in a a cute kid friendly place.

It was SUCH a nice getaway and totally appreciate our wonderful babysitters!

Quote of the Day
"Travel and change of pace impart new vigor to the mind."
-Seneca

P.S. We had so much fun and were so relaxed we forgot to take any pictures. These are all form google

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...